PSYCHIATRIC NURSE PRACTITIONER
Halifax, Mecklenburg Counties, Virginia
February 5, 2024
Southside Behavioral Health provides individualized culturally competent care in our communities, by supporting wellness and quality of life in a recovery-oriented environment and professional manner. Covering the counties of Halifax, Mecklenburg and Brunswick, VA. Our behavioral health services are backed with community involvement and values.
SBH is seeking a qualified individual who will be responsible for the psychiatric evaluation and management of individuals with behavioral health and/or co-occurring substance use disorder.
- Completes comprehensive psychiatric evaluations of individuals to determine current mental status, diagnosis, medical comorbidity, treatment needs and need for medication
- Responsible for reviewing the documentation of the nurses, clinical staff, and outside records for a comprehensive evaluation, and discusses cases with SBH staff as needed to determine the treatment needs of individuals receiving services
- Prescribes and orders medication per VA Board of Pharmacy regulations and best practice standards. Maintains required documentation and medical records per state and federal guidelines and SBH policy and procedures. Uses Prescription Monitoring Program when indicated. Orders and monitors appropriate labs and other testing necessary to monitor psychiatric medications as indicated and required by best practice standards.
- Participates in interdisciplinary staff meetings and coordinates with other SBH staff and other medical providers such as primary care physicians. Counsels individuals and/or family members concerning appropriate use, anticipated effects, and side effects of psychotropic medications. Provides psychoeducation to patients and families regarding mental health diagnoses and treatment.
- Maintains annual licensure and/or certification requirements
- Master’s degree in Nursing required.
- Nurse Practitioner licensed or licensed within six months of start date in the state of Virginia to practice medicine.
- Certification as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner required
- Buprenorphine/MAT experience or training preferred
- At least one year of experience in a health setting providing nurse practitioner services to individuals with mental health and/or substance use disorder preferred.
- Must meet all criminal background and drug screening requirements.
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record, required.
As an equal opportunity employer, women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Benefits and Perks
Benefits/perks may vary depending on the nature of your employment.