DIRECT SUPPORT SPECIALIST
Halifax County, Virginia
March 20, 2023
Southside Behavioral Health provides individualized culturally competent care in our communities, by supporting wellness and quality of life in a recovery-oriented environment and professional manner. Covering the counties of Halifax, Mecklenburg and Brunswick, VA. Our behavioral health services are backed with community involvement and values.
SBH is seeking qualified individuals to work with and care for residents with Intellectual disabilities. Position located at King’s Manor in South Boston, VA. Primary responsibility is to provide one-on-one and group assistance to Waiver consumers, in the areas of daily living skills/activities to include budgeting, planning meals and purchasing groceries, community living, social, and communication skills. Facilitates usage of community resources and services to maximize individual’s independence in apartment setting. Transports and accompanies consumers on community outings. Maintains accurate and timely documentation; and, as needed, assists with behavior modification and intervention techniques.
- Instructs residents in activities of daily living, functioning in the community, basic homemaking skills, and personal care.
- Monitors and manages resident behavior to ensure the welfare and safety of the client at all times; implements behavior management techniques.
- Implements Individual Service Plans and writes daily progress notes (quarterly, monthly, annual reports) and completes daily task analysis sheets.
- Assists in activities of home recreation (game playing, arts and crafts), and ensures consumers get appropriate physical exercise.
- Transports residents to appointments/shopping/social events, etc., and other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED
- CNA or HHA training preferred.
- SHIFTS MAY VARY AND INCLUDE HOLIDAY AND WEEKEND WORK.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality, possess effective communication skills, and have all mandatory trainings (CPR, First Aid, medication, etc.) or be trainable after hire.
- Must meet all criminal background and drug screening requirements.
Excellent Benefits package and Virginia Retirement System. Tuition repayment program is available to eligible individuals.
As an equal opportunity employer, women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Benefits and Perks
Benefits/perks may vary depending on the nature of your employment.