What is a community services board?

A community services board is a publically-funded entity responsible for providing mental health, intellectual disability, substance use, and prevention services for their local communities. Community service boards also offer 24/7 Emergency Services for prescreening and mental health emergencies.

What services does Southside Behavioral Health offer?

We offer behavioral health, substance use, developmental disability, early intervention, prevention, and crisis services to the Virginia counties of Halifax, Mecklenburg and Brunswick.

What should I do if I have a complaint or concern?

Please call 1-434-572-6916 or fill out the form on our Contact Us page to give us more information.

How do I make an appointment?

To make an appointment, please call us at 1-833-272-2778 or visit our Contact Us page for more information.

What should I bring to my first appointment?

At the time of appointment, please bring a picture ID, social security card (optional), insurance card (we accept many insurances), and proof of income (paycheck stub, W-2, SSI, unemployment, etc.) if you are not insured. Please also bring any guardianship documentation, custody documents and court orders that apply.

If I live in a different locality, can I be seen at a location closer to my work?

Yes, you may be seen at one of our locations in another county. For example, a resident from Brunswick may receive services in Mecklenburg if that is closer to their place of employment.

Is there a fee for services at Southside Behavioral Health?

Yes, there is a fee. However, individuals paying out-of-pocket may qualify for discounted services based on our sliding scale.

Does Southside Behavioral Health take insurance?

Yes, Southside Behavioral Health accepts all insurance providers. However, at times, we must limit services to individuals based on insurance when we do not have providers or credentialed providers.

What if I don't have insurance?

If you are currently uninsured, your payment may be based on a sliding scale determined by our reimbursement team.

When is payment for services due?

Payment is due at the time of services.

Will I be charged if I miss an appointment?

If you are paying out-of-pocket or have private insurance, there is a $10 dollar no-show fee.

What is a sliding scale?

Our sliding scale is based on an individual's household income/dependents and is used to determine service fees.

What is a psychiatric crisis?

A psychiatric crisis can include, but is not limited to suicidal/homicidal ideations, acute psychiatric symptoms, increased substance use, and/or sudden changes in a person's mental state.

What should I do if a friend or family member is experiencing a mental health crisis?

Call 1-833-377-7272 immediately. Our Emergency Service Team is available 365/24/7 to help.

What do I do if someone is having a mental health crisis, but is refusing to get help?

If you feel that there is an immediate need for help, call 911, a police officer will come and provide an initial assessment. When on the phone with 911, explain that you are calling in regard to a mental health emergency and need a Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) trained officer.

What is an emergency custody order and how to file for one?

An Emergency Custody Order (ECO) is a legal court order that authorizes law enforcement to take a person into custody for a mental health evaluation. To begin the necessary action for an ECO, call 911 or a Magistrate.

What is a temporary detention order?

This is a legal document requiring an individual to receive immediate hospitalization for further evaluation and stabilization on an involuntary basis.

What is a commitment hearing?

This is a court process used to determine is an individual meets the necessary criteria for involuntary commitment and psychiatric hospitalization.

How do I sign up for a FREE community training?

To join a FREE community training, visit our events page for more information on upcoming trainings being offered. Stay up-to-date on current trainings by following us on social media (https://www.facebook.com/southsidebehavioralhealth/) or joining our newsletter.

How do I request a copy of my records?

Call 1-434-572-6916 and ask to be transferred to the Records Officer.

Is there a fee for requesting my records?

Yes, we charge $6.50 per record request. However, if your doctor requests your records for continuation of care we will not charge them for the request.

How long will it take to receive my records?

Records requests are processed within 15 days from receipt of the request. If the request cannot be processed, the Records Officer will be in contact with you.

Contact Us Now For
Individualized Competent Care

Southside Behavioral Health provides individualized culturally competent care in our communities, by supporting wellness and quality of life in a recovery-oriented environment and professional manner.